Instructors shall provide syllabi to their students at the beginning of each course. Syllabi must also be shared with the appropriate administrator's office no later than the end of the first week of the course. Instructors are encouraged to make their syllabi available before the course begins in order to enable students to make informed registration decisions. Syllabi may be used in grievance and judicial hearings; therefore, clarity and specificity are especially important.
Instructors are encouraged to personalize their syllabi and to distribute them electronically.
Required Content Areas
- College name
- Instructor name
- Instructor office location, availability, phone number, and PCC email address
- Course title, number, CRN number, credits, and meeting time and location (if applicable)
- Term and year
- Course description, course outcomes, and course prerequisites (copied from the CCOG) or a hyperlink to the CCOG
- Instructional materials (e.g., textbooks, supplies, equipment)
- Major assignments and due dates (e.g., exams, final, essays, projects)
- Course grading criteria
- PCC Grading Guidelines [www.pcc.edu/resources/student-records/grading/]
- Course drop/withdraw deadlines [www.pcc.edu/enroll/registration/dropping.html]
- Attendance and make-up policies
- Instructional ADA statement
Sample statement: Students who experience disability-related barriers should contact Disability Services [www.pcc.edu/disability/]. If students elect to use approved academic adjustments, they must provide in advance formal notification from Disability Services to the instructor.
- Title IX/Nondiscrimination statement must include at least the following text:
Portland Community College is committed to creating and fostering a learning and working environment based on open communication and mutual respect. If you believe you have encountered sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, sexual assault, or discrimination based on race, color, religion, age, national origin, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability please contact the Office of Equity and Inclusion at (971) 722-5840 or email@example.com.
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook
Sample statement: Students are required to comply with the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook [www.pcc.edu/about/policy/student-rights/]. The Handbook includes the Code of Student Conduct and the Academic Integrity Policy.
- Flexibility statement
Sample statement: The instructor reserves the right to modify course content and/or substitute assignments and learning activities in response to institutional, weather, or class situations.
Suggested Content Areas
- Link to Instructional website
- Link to PCC website [www.pcc.edu]
- Tentative calendar
- Instructional philosophy
- Campus resources information (e.g., tutoring services, library, labs, student services, ASPCC)
- Children on PCC Properties policy [http://www.pcc.edu/about/policy/student-rights/documents/children.pdf]
- Code of Student Conduct [http://www.pcc.edu/about/policy/student-rights/documents/student-conduct.pdf]
- Academic integrity statement
Sample statement: Dishonest activities such as cheating on exams and submitting or copying work done by others will result in disciplinary actions including but not limited to receiving a failing grade. See the Academic Integrity Policy [www.pcc.edu/about/policy/student-rights/documents/academic-integrity.pdf] for further details.
- Statement regarding instructor's policy on mobile communication devices
Sample statement: The use of portable communication devices during class is prohibited. Discuss exceptions with the instructor.
Sample statement: Mobile devices such as cell phones and pagers must be powered down while class is in session. If you have special circumstances and need to leave your mobile device powered up, you must obtain permission from the instructor. If there is an emergency situation and you must use a mobile device during class time, please leave the classroom before accepting and/or conducting your call.
Sample statement: Students are encouraged to have some form of mobile communication device capable of accessing the Internet.
- Statement regarding recording and distribution of course sessions
Sample statement: Students who wish to make an auditory or visual recording of any portion of the class must speak with the instructor ahead of time. Any such recording is for personal use only. It may not be shared, copied, uploaded to the Internet, and/or distributed without written permission from the instructor as well as any student who appears or is heard in the recording.
Policy/Standard Name: Syllabus Standards for Credit Courses
Policy/Standard Identifier: S704
Units responsible for review and update: Academic Policies and Standards Committee
Approval: College President
Responsibility: Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs
Date of Final Approval: Winter 2016
Effective Date: Spring 2016
Prior Versions: Yes