Transfer Credit Standards

Credits from other institutions may be accepted toward degree requirements if they were completed at a regionally accredited college or university.

For degree-seeking students the college evaluates coursework for Lower Division Collegiate (LDC) and Upper Division Collegiate (UDC) classes from regionally accredited institutions where grades of A, B, C, or P/S (Pass/Satisfactory) were earned. P/S grades are only transferable if the transferring institution awarded that grade for C or higher. If a D was considered P/S, it is not transferable. If you are unsure what constitutes LDC coursework, see the Course Prefix List. Career Technical Education coursework may be applied to a degree or certificate upon the evaluation and approval of the department chair. Early in their program, students should consult with the department chair of the appropriate program for assistance. Transfer GPA is not included in the overall GPA on PCC transcripts.

For non-degree seeking students the college evaluates coursework in order to satisfy PCC’s Standard Prerequisites, as well as commonly used preparatory coursework in other subject areas (e.g. Biology). 

To request evaluation of your transfer credits, submit the transfer credit evaluation request which can be found on MyPCC. You must be a current credit PCC student to request a transfer credit evaluation. Submit this request after you have requested official transcripts from all schools where you have transfer coursework. Transfer evaluations are performed in the order in which they are received.

All transcripts received by the Student Records Office become the property of PCC. The Student Records Office will not provide copies of transcripts from other institutions. The Student Records Office is responsible for determining acceptance of transfer work to meet college requirements. Students should plan to meet with a department chair or advisor to review program requirements.

International Coursework

In order to receive credit toward a Portland Community College certificate or degree, it is the responsibility of each student with transcripts (credits) from international schools to have them translated (if necessary) and evaluated course by course by a service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Further information can be found at:

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students who complete Advanced Placement (AP) Exams may be eligible to receive college credit based on the exam score.  Students must have official AP scores sent to Student Records and request a transcript credit evaluation via MyPCC. A list of AP exams accepted by PCC and credit received is available on the Student Records website:

To request a copy of AP exam scores to be sent to PCC, contact the Advanced Placement Program. This information can be found at the address listed below or the following website:

Advanced Placement Program
Phone: 888-225-5427

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students who complete International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams may be eligible to receive college credit based on the exam score. Students must have an official IB transcript of scores sent to Student Records and request a transcript credit evaluation via MyPCC. A list of IB exams accepted by PCC and credit received is available at

Students may request official IB transcripts by contacting:

IB Americas Global Centre
Attn: Transcript Officer
7501 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 200 West
Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: 301-202-3025

For more information on ordering transcripts please see the International Baccalaureate website:

Transfer Credit and VA Benefits

Students using any type of Federal Veterans Administration (VA) Education Benefit are required to have all prior credit history evaluated. It is the student’s responsibility to request official transcripts from all previous colleges and submit them to the PCC Student Records Office. Students must also complete and submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation request found on MyPCC. A student’s first term of VA benefits may be certified while waiting for transcript evaluation, however no subsequent terms will be certified for VA Benefits until transfer credit evaluation is complete. All credits will be evaluated and transferred according to the policies stated in this catalog.