Non-Traditional Credit

A student must have an established PCC transcript before any non-traditional credit can be recorded. Non-traditional credit may not be used to establish the residency requirement. Students must submit a Non-Traditional Credit form to the Student Records Office and pay the non-refundable fee. The Non-Traditional Credit form can be found at After evaluation the non-traditional credit will be recorded on the student’s transcript. Only 25% of a degree’s or certificate’s credits can come from non-traditional credit.

PCC will evaluate the following for non-traditional credit: College Level Entrance Examination Program (CLEP), Military Service Credit and coursework at non-regionally accredited institutions and training sites. Non-traditional credit may be used to satisfy degree or certificate requirements.  However, only CLEP credit may be used to satisfy General Education requirements.

College Level Entrance Examination Program (CLEP)

Students who completed College Level Entrance Examination Program (CLEP) Exams may be eligible to receive college credit based on the exam score.  Students must have official CLEP scores sent to Student Records, along with the Non-Traditional Credit form. PCC accepts CLEP scores for some, but not all, subject areas. A list of exams accepted by PCC and credit received is available on the PCC Student Records website:

Information on how and where CLEP exams may be taken and how to request an official score report be sent to PCC can be found at the address listed below or the following website:

CLEP – Transcript Services
PO Box 6600
Princeton, NJ 08541-6600

Military Service Credit

Portland Community College awards college credit for military training and coursework based on ACE (American Council on Education) credit recommendations included in military transcripts. This is done at the discretion of PCC career-technical faculty department chairs and transfer credit evaluators. Transcripts from Community College of the Air Force and the Defense Language Institute, which are regionally-accredited institutions, are processed as standard transfer credit. Utilize the College Credit for Military Training Request Form that can be found on the student records and veterans services website:

Military Service Physical Education Credit

Students who do not submit a transcript for evaluation may earn three credits of physical education credit upon the submission of a DD 214 along with the military credit request form.

Course Work at Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions and Training Sites

Non-traditional credit may be granted for course work completed at training sites or non-regionally accredited institutions. Examples include hospitals, banks, corporations, business schools, nationally accredited colleges and universities, etc.

Students must furnish detailed training records, course outlines and, whenever possible, transcripts. Individual departments will evaluate and assign PCC equivalencies. Only those subject areas taught by PCC will be considered. Contact the Student Records Office for details. Course work evaluated from training sites and non-regionally accredited institutions is not generally acceptable in meeting General Education requirements.